Clinical Psychophysics Unit
- Associate Professor Allison McKendrick
- Dr Bao Nguyen
- Ms Jia Jia Lek
- Mr Luke Chong
- Mr Shonraj Ballae
- Ms Janet Chan
- Ms Cassandra Brooks
- Mr Kabilan Pitchamuthu
- Mr Juan Sepulveda
- Ms Nikki Rubinstein
- Ms Menaka Malavita
National & International Collaborators
- A/Prof Andrew Turpin, Dr Siyuan Chen, Computing and Information Systems, The University of Melbourne
- Professor David Badcock, Psychology, University of Western Australia
- Dr Anna Ma-Wyatt, Psychology, University of Adelaide
- Prof Jonathan Crowston, Dr Zhichao Wu, Centre for Eye Research Australia, Ophthalmology, University of Melbourne
- Dr Olivia Carter, Dr Stefan Bode, Psychology, University of Melbourne
- Prof Paul McGraw, Psychology, University of Nottingham
- Dr Andrew Anderson, Dr Michael Pianta, Prof Algis Vingrys, Prof Trichur Vidyasagar, University of Melbourne
- Prof Gary Egan, Dr Qhizu Wu, Monash University
Our research aims to better understand normal visual processing and damage due to disease. The laboratory has specific interests in the study of glaucoma, migraine, and the process of normal aging. We are also interested in how the brain combines information from multiple senses (for example, vision and hearing) and how aging and sensory damage influence these processes. Our applied aims include developing better clinical tests for the assessment of vision loss (in particular perimetry and ocular imaging), and improving understanding of the consequences of vision loss on performance in natural visual environments and day-to-day tasks. Our current studies use a variety of methods including visual psychophysics, human electrophysiology and human brain and ocular imaging.
To see our current projects and posts about our research, please subscribe to our blog:
Some recent publications (2013-2014)
- Turpin A, Lawson DJ, McKendrick AM. PsyPad: a platform for visual psychophysics on the iPad. Journal of Vision. 2014;14(3):16:1-8.
- Rubinstein NJ, Anderson AJ, Ma-Wyatt A, Walland MJ, McKendrick AM. The effects of ageing and visual field loss on pointing to visual targets. PLoS One. 2014;9(5):e97190.
- Nguyen BN, Vingrys AJ, McKendrick AM. The effect of duration post-migraine on visual electrophysiology and visual field performance in people with migraine. Cephalalgia. 2014;34(1):42-57.
- McKendrick AM, Denniss J, Turpin A. Response times across the visual field: empirical observations and application to threshold determination. Vision Res. 2014;101:1-10.
- Lek JJ, Vingrys AJ, McKendrick AM. Rapid Contrast Adaptation in Glaucoma and in Ageing. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014;55(5):3171-8.
- Denniss J, Turpin A, Tanabe F, Matsumoto C, McKendrick AM. Structure-Function Mapping: Variability and Conviction in Tracing Retinal Nerve Fibre Bundles and Comparison to a Computational Model. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014;55(2):728-36.
- Denniss J, Turpin A, McKendrick AM. Individualised structure-function mapping for glaucoma: practical constraints on map resolution of clinical and research applications. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014;55(3):1985-93.
- Chong LX, McKendrick AM, Ganeshrao SB, Turpin A. Customised, automated stimulus location choice for assessment of visual field defects. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014;55(5):3265-74.
- Chan YM, Pianta MJ, McKendrick AM. Reduced audiovisual recalibration in the elderly. Front. Aging Neurosci. 2014 August 27;6:226.
- Chan YM, Pianta MJ, McKendrick AM. Older age results in difficulties separating auditory and visual signals in time. Journal of Vision. 2014;14(11):13:1-8.
- McKendrick AM, Weymouth AE, Battista J. Visual form perception from 20 through 80 years. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54(3):1730-9.
- McKendrick AM, Battista J. Perceptual learning of contour integration is not compromised in the elderly. Journal of Vision. 2013;13(1):1-5.
- Denniss J, McKendrick AM, Turpin A. Towards patient-tailored perimetry: Automated perimetry can be improved by seeding procedures with patient-specific structural information. Translational Vision Science and Technology. 2013;2(4):1-13.